By Amanda Bay
Amanda Bay is an American-Mozambican Sociologist with a passion for combating modern-day slavery. She has experience working in cross-cultural teams in the nonprofit sector. Thanks to her experiences, I have acquired strong skills in data collection and analysis, translating documents, editing grant proposals and project implementation. She is now looking for every opportunity to help raise awareness and combat human trafficking and exploitation!
Operation Guardian Angel Charged the Following Johns:
On October 18th 2014, the Hartford Police Department and Operation Guardian Angel arrested
- Jeong Min Lee (34, Alabama) on charges of: Electronic Solicitation of a Child and Traveling to meet a Child for Unlawful Sex Act.
- Michael Leonard Tallman (30, Washington) facing felony prostitution charge in Washington County District Court. The Minneapolis Police Department, St. Paul Police Department, the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security collaborated and conducted an Internet-based investigation against the John (who answered an online advertisement to meet a 32-year old woman and her 14-year old daughter for sex acts but Tallman was busted by Operation Guardian Angel).
Operation Guardian Angel successfully captured Johns attempting to pay for sex acts with minors through online advertisements on Craigslist and Backpage.com.
The following Johns are being charged in Washington County:
- Kevin Michael Aylward (49),
- Benjamin Charles Beery (38),
- Brent Allen Fredrickson (38),
- Christopher Scott Henderson (29),
- Gordon Patrick Jones (33),
- Ryan Brook Meredith (33),
- Nathan John Mravinc (35),
- Brian Patrick O’Boyle (34),
- Luis Angel Ponce (20),
- Kyle Michael Segermark (21),
- Paul Dean Skaggs (40), and
- Ian Laurence Walford (35).
In Dakota County, Operation Guardian Angel charged the following men:
- Christopher Thomas Lauyans (33) with 1 count of soliciting a minor for prostitution;
- Dallas Leonard Lloyd (26) with 1 count of soliciting a 13-15 year old for prostitution, 1 count of soliciting a 16-17 year old for prostitution, and 1 count of 5th degree possession of a controlled substance;
- Phengie Lue Lee (24) with 1 count of soliciting a 13-15 year old for prostitution;
- Kerry Joe Mausolf (48) for 1 count of soliciting a 13-15 year old for prostitution;
- Jason Michael Slattum (36) with 1 count of soliciting a 13-15 year old for prostitution and soliciting a 16-17 year old for prostitution; and
- Joshua Berry Wood (39) for 1 count of soliciting a 13-15 year old for prostitution and 1 count of soliciting a 16-17 year old for prostitution.
Operation Guardian Angel is working as an undercover law enforcement team that focus on investigating the demand for child prostitutes in the Kansas, Missouri, and Minnesota area. This undercover team is usually led by Minneapolis Police Department Juvenile Trafficking Investigator Sgt. Grant Snyder. Part of the Dakota operation was partially funded by the Women’s Foundation of Minnesota (this particular operation began in February 2014). Minnesota has had 101 child-solicitation prosecutions according to Ramsey County Attorney John Choi. Grant Snyder has said several times that social media unfortunately plays a crucial role in this issue but the interesting thing is that Operation Guardian Angel has also been able to positively use social media to capture these Johns. Law enforcement agencies should consider using similar methods as social media does play an important role in our society today; and if used correctly, it might be able to help us end this horrific problem.